Cambridge English: First ( FCE) Reading & Use of English
level: B2 /Upper Intermediate
What is the Cambridge First Reading & Use of English test like?
The test has seven sections and takes 75 minutes:
- Part 1 - multiple choice cloze, test 2
- Part 2 - open cloze, text with gaps, test 2
- Part 3 - word formation, test 2
- Part 4 - key word transformations, test 2
- Part 5 - text with 6 multiple choice questions, test 2
- Part 6 - text with 6 sentences missing, test 2
- Part 7 - multiple matching, 10 questions, test 2
Parts 1–3 – each correct answer receives 1 mark; Part 4 – each correct answer receives up to 2 marks.
For Parts 5–6, each correct answer receives 2 marks; for Part 7, each correct answer receives 1 mark.
How to prepare for the Cambridge First Reading & Use of English test
- This paper tests your knowledge of reading, vocabulary and grammar.
- Read as much as possible, and use a dictionary to help you learn new words
- Use a grammar book to help you understand sentence structure
- Read the instructions carefully before you start each section
- Correct spelling is necessary. Get into the habit of checking the spelling of words
- Read widely. The texts used in the Cambridge First can be: newspaper and magazine articles, reports, fiction, advertisements, correspondence, informational material (brochures, guides, etc.)
- Read the instructions carefully before you start
- Read all the text before you answer any questions